Getting a finger or all the fingers jammed is a very common occurrence. It can happen to anyone anytime. You can get your finger jammed when you fall, cat a ball the wrong way, or just get your fingers while you are closing the cupboard or door. When you jam your finger in most cases the tip of the finger is pushed against the edge, it can be really painful as the momentum can actually crush or tear the ligaments.
How To Cure A Jammed Finger Fast?
Ligaments are the tough bands that connect the tissues with the bones and bind them together. But in worse situations, the force of impact can sometimes damage the tendon or even fracture the finger. All the swelling can get really painful. But if the injury is minor it can be mostly treated right from home but in case the damage is really bad or if the finger is broken it better to get medical attention as early as possible. If treatment is not taken at the proper time this could cause permanent damage.
Here are the key Differences to Identify a Jammed Finger from a Broken Finger
If your finger is jammed…
- Pain when you try to hold anything
- Redness and swelling along with bearable pain.
If your finger is fractured….
- Severe unbearable pain
- Shooting pain when you try to move the finger
- Swelling that could last for hours
How To Cure?
If you are an adult, you can apply an ice pack to the finger for up to 15 minutes, placing your finger is a bowl of ice water can also help. Keep your hands elevated as this can help with the swelling from becoming worse. If the pain is unbearable you can also try using over the counter painkillers such as ibuprofen.
If the condition worsens and the swelling doesn’t go down with a few hours seek medical attention. Especially with kids, any kind of injury needs to be treated immediately because damage to the growth plate of a finger bone can lead to long term deformity.
There are the things you can do immediately after you jammed your finger. To recover sooner it’s important that you take the necessary aftercare:
- Use buddy tape, tape the injured finger to the adjacent finger. Use adhesive tape to do the same and make sure you tape it below the joint of the finger.
Cases when a Jammed Finger can cause Complications and Requires Medical Attention:
- The finger looks deformed
- You are unable to move your finger
- You develop a fever or the area feels hot
- Pain along with swelling become intolerable
- The area changes color loses sensitivity or turns completely white and pale.
Finally, for any kind of sprains or strains, it’s good to follow the P.R.I.C.E. approach,
- The first step is to protect the area so that any kind of further injury can be avoided.
- Second, the finger must be given proper rest, the more one uses the finger it applies more stress and strain causing the injury to worsen or take longer to recover.
- Even if you are planning to seek medical attention it’s safer to treat the area with ice immediately, cold can play a key role in reducing swelling, inflammation, etc.
- The next thing you can do is compress the area. This can be done using an elastic bandage until there is a reduction in swelling. But in case of the pain increases, it’s advisable to loosen the wrap and soon the area will become numb.
- Elevation the area of injury especially at night can help in reducing the swelling in that area.
I hope the above article helped you understand how to cure a jammed finger fast? Let me know how these tips helped you. Will be happy to hear your tips and suggestions.